Formal volunteering is an activity which takes place through a not for profit organisation or project, and is undertaken:
• to be of benefit to the community and the volunteer
• of the volunteer’s own free will and without coercion
• for no financial payment; and
• in designated volunteer positions only.
Sourced from Volunteering Australia
Volunteering provides an opportunity to learn skills, make friends and assist others. It’s a great way for people, regardless of their age, cultural background, location or circumstances, to get involved in the community.
Volunteers have the opportunity to:
• Meet new people and make new friends
• Have fun while giving to the community.
• Stay involved and be active.
• Gain knowledge of the community and its needs.
• Learn new skills and experience new challenges.
• Explore different career and job opportunities
• Experience different cultures
• Help people or contribute to social change<
Did you know?
• Volunteers were more likely to be involved in other aspects of community life than those who had not volunteered in the last 12 months.
• 82% of volunteers were much more likely to have attended a community event in the last 6 months, and were almost three times more likely (44%) to have provided a service or activity in the local area
• More than 65% of volunteers reported that at least one of their parents had done voluntary work compared to 44% for those whose parents had not volunteered.
Sourced from the ABS Voluntary Work, Australia Survey (2010)
Some areas of volunteering available
Information /Referral Services
For information on skilled and corporate volunteering, visit the Corporate Volunteering page
Are you looking for a volunteer role? Eastern Volunteers can help you find a volunteer position in the outer eastern suburbs of Melbourne.
There are many volunteer opportunities available in the community. Please come in to our Ringwood or Box Hill office for an interview and we can discuss the type of volunteering that would best suit you.
If you would like to arrange an interview please call us on (03) 9870 7822 or email firstname.lastname@example.org