Volunteer Assisted Transport
Eastern Volunteers provides volunteer assisted community transport to the frail aged and people with disabilities to attend social outings, medical appointments and other activities. This service supports government policy under the Active Service Model to help people stay in their own homes longer.
Eastern Volunteers is currently recruiting volunteer drivers to become part of the transport team. Click here for more information.
How the Service Operates
People are eligible for the Service if:
- They are eligible to receive Home And Community Care services
- They reside in the Cities of Maroondah, Whitehorse or specified areas of the Shire of Yarra Ranges
- They are unable to travel independently on public transport
- Because of geographic location, there is no easily accessible public transport available
- They have no relative or friend to either drive them or assist them to travel on public transport
- They are disadvantaged by mobility, health, economic circumstances, language or social isolation
- Eastern Volunteers will negotiate a Transport Service Plan with its clients which documents the individual transport needs of clients and how the Transport Service can support the client to meet these needs.
Referrals to Eastern Volunteers can be made by:
• Council Staff
• Day Centre Staff
• Social Workers
• Case Managers
• Human Services
• Other Health Professionals
If you make a direct request to Eastern Volunteers for assistance and:
• You are not receiving services from another agency; or
• You have not been assessed by another agency
Then it may be necessary for a staff person from Eastern Volunteers to visit.
Transport Assistance is available for:
• Doctors, dentists, rehabilitation services and hospitals
• Day Centres, social activities, community programs and shopping
• In special circumstances, to visit family in hospital or nursing homes (Depending on availability of Volunteers)
Unfortunately we cannot provide transport services for treatments involving chemotherapy or radiotherapy
Clients are asked to assist with a donation to assist with reimbursement of petrol costs to volunteers.
On contacting Eastern Volunteers you will be asked to supply the following information:
- Name, address and telephone number
- Next of kin or emergency contact person’s name and number
- Your age group
- The municipality you live in
- Where you require transport from
- Your destination
- If you require the driver to wait or return pick up time
- If you require assistance to and from the vehicle
- Any other special needs
Making a Booking
Please Note that bookings are required three working days prior to the date of your appointment, once you have been registered as a client with Eastern Volunteers. Call Eastern Volunteers on 03 9870 7822 to make a booking.
Eastern Transport Register – hire of vehicles
Eastern Transport Register (ETR) is a HACC program managed by Eastern Volunteers.
The register has been developed to assist agencies servicing Home and Community Care (HACC) clients with their community transport needs, by offering a centrally computerised register of vehicles across the Boroondara, Knox, Manningham, Maroondah, Monash and Whitehorse Municipalities, and the Shire of Yarra Ranges.
To improve access to services for HACC clients through the efficient use of transport resources.
Agencies servicing HACC clients, and HACC-eligible individuals (frail aged and younger persons with disabilities and their carers) within the municipalities and shire.
In need of Vehicles?
ETR provides annual members with:
• Access to an online vehicle search and booking system for a range of vehicles, including hoist vehicles to accommodate wheelchairs;
• Insurance excess cover in the event of an accident (conditions apply).
There are five types of membership available:
- Single-Use One-Off Registration for both agencies and individual clients;
- Annual Borrowers for both agencies and individuals;
- Multi-Branch Annual Borrowers
- Combined Borrower/Lenders-10% discount on membership fee.
Please contact Eastern Transport Register on 0438 987 078, via the website here or email firstname.lastname@example.org